Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) is reported to have said:
“Whoever recites the following du’a after entering the bazar, will receive a million rewards, one million sins of his shall be forgiven, his rank will be raised by a million stages and (in some narrations) he will receive a palace in Jannah”
لا إِلٰه إلا اللُه وَحدَه لا شَريكَ لَه، له المُلْكُ وله الحَمْدُ، يُحْيِي وَيُمِيتُ، وَهو حَيٌّ لا يَمُوتُ بِيَدِه الخَيْرُ، وَهُوَ عَلٰى كُلّ شَيْءٍ قَدير
La ilaha illallahu wahdahu la sharika lahu, lahul mulku wa lahul hamdu yuhyi wa yumitu wahuwa hayyun la yamutu biyadihil khayru wahuwa ‘ala kulli shay in qadir.
This Du’a is reported by several Muhaddithun in their respective works. Some of these books are:
1) Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 3428-3429
2) Sunan Ibn Majah, Hadith: 2235
3) Musnad Ahmad Hadith: 327
4) Mustadrak Haakim, vol. 1 pgs. 538-539
5) Al-Mukhtarah of Imam Diyau Din Al-Maqdisi (rahimahullah) (vol. 1 pgs. 296-299 Hadith: 186-188, also see: Sharhul Ihyaa, vol. 5 pg. 511)
6) Kitabu Du’a of Imam Tabarani (rahimahullah) pgs. 251-252 Hadith: 789-793
Some of these books of Hadith narrate this du’a with different chains from others, especially Mustadrak Hakim and Kitabu Du’a of Imam Tabarani (rahimahullah).
Those who have authenticated this narration:
1. ‘Allamah Mundhiri (rahimahullah) has cited the narration of Sunan Tirmidhi and has classified is as Hasan. (Targhib, vol. 2 pg. 531)
“واسناده حسن متصل ، ورواته ثقات أثبات ، وفي أزهر بن سنان خلاف ، قال ابن عدي: وأرجو أنه لابأس به”
2. ‘Allamah Dimyati (rahimahullah) has also rated it as Hasan (Al-Matjaru Raabih, Hadith: 1337)
3. Imam Haakim (rahimahullah) has recorded it with several different chains and he has classified one of them as sahih. (Al-Mustadrak, vol. 1 pg. 539)
Note: ‘Allamah Munzhiri (rahimahullah) and ‘Allamah Dimyati (rahimahullah) have quoted the tas-heeh (authentication) of Imaam Hakim (rahimahullah) and they did not object to it.
3. Imam Dhiyau Din Al-Maqdisi (rahimahullah) has also accepted is as authentic.
An objection answered:
In some of these sources, one chain has a narrator by the name of: ‘Imran ibn Muslim.
The Muhaddithun have differed as to which ‘Imran ibn Muslim this is. Some say that he is the famous: ‘Imran ibn Muslim Al-Basri Al-Qasir who is in fact reliable.(see: Tahzhibul Kamal of Mizzi (rahimahullah) # 5091 , Taqrib of Ibn Hajar (rahimahullah) #5168 as well as Tahzheeb of Ibn Hajar (rahimahullah) #6088)
Others claim that this ‘Imran is not the famous “Al-Qasir” rather he is someone else regarding whom Imaam Bukhari (rahimahullah) said: He is Munkarul Hadith. (see all previous references)
Be that as it may, the result of this difference will only affect one of the several chains with which this du’a is narrated. Therefore, even if this chain is accepted as weak, it will definitely not hinder the ruling of Imams 1) Hakim and 2) Dhiyau Din Al-Maqdisi (rahimahullah) as well as that of 3) ‘Allamah Munzhiri (rahimahullah) and 4) ‘Allamah Dimyati (rahimahullah) as they are all commenting on chains that are void of this “Imran ibn Muslim”
The practice of the salaf:
Added to all of this is the fact that Imams Hakim and Ghazali (rahimahumallah) have quoted that some of the narrators of this Hadith use to intentionally go to the bazaar to merely recite this du’a and acquire its rewards. (Al-Mustadrak, Sharhul Ihyaa, vol. 5 pg. 511)
This is also considered as a strengthening factor. i.e, the ta’amul (general practice of the Earlier ‘Ulama.) see: Shaykh ‘Abdul Fattah’s (rahimahullah) concluding notes on Al-Ajwibatul Fadhilah pgs. 228-238 for an in depth discussion on this principle.
Therefore this Hadith is sufficiently justified as authentic.
Click here to download the PDF of the du’a